Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Bluebird

A few weeks ago I had a shelf made to go above our sliding glass door in the kitchen. Because there is a window behind it, I set my collection of cobalt blue glass on the shelf. Brilliant! Maybe too brilliant.

Not a week had passed before a bluebird began fluttering anxiously around the large kitchen windows behind the table. Sometimes the poor thing flew so close, it banged against the glass with its beak. It would only pause for a moment here and there to rest on one of the window sills or the nearby fence.

My initial happiness at seeing the bird (my favorite!) turned quickly to concern. I wondered what might cause such odd behavior. The longer I watched, the more obvious it became that the bluebird was attracted to the blue glass. Now and then it perched on the lower sill, its little chest beating, staring up at the shelf above the patio door. Evening came. It grew dark. I hoped it was over.

The next morning, the bluebird returned to flutter and bang against the window. Throughout that day, and the next day, and the day after that, it continued. Even in our bedroom, I could hear its beak hitting against the window pane. Three days in, the sight and sound finally brought me to tears.

My heart broke for the bluebird trying to reach the blue glass. I understood what it was like to be attracted to something - something Beautiful and strangely familiar, but so much more - and want desperately to reach it, only to be blocked again and again by an invisible barrier. I have banged against that wall so many times.

Lord God, You are beautiful beyond description. You invite me to come into Your presence! Jesus has made it possible for me to do so! Yet sometimes I feel so unable to really reach You. Please help me to believe that I will and not give up. Thank You that Your love never fails to reach me.     

2 comments:

  1. Renee,
    This is beautiful and insightful. Sometimes I think it's me trying to reach for God only to hit a barrier, bewildering and unseen. Try as I may with all that I am capable of, only to be unsuccessful. Finding myself sitting on God's window ledge wanting to be close to Him. Wanting more of Him. Returning time and again, sitting, wanting, watching.
    Then I re-think this puzzle. Is the window what I have installed to keep Him from fully reaching me. I have accepted His Son into my heart at His beckoning and in response to His Holy Spirit's work, (Jn. 14 or 17). Is there really something of myself that isn't already His. Something I can use or even do better than Him; better than the uber genius Creator.
    And yet, He fills my silly heart with the Hope that He is bigger still and faithful to complete the work He started. He will not be unfaithful to His Word.
    Praise be to Him,
    Connie Leideritz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing to receive such a beautiful response from you! You're so right, too. The Lord has been so faithful to continue His work in my heart - and dramatically at times. The "breakthrough moments" are so glorious, but when and why they happen is such a mystery. I want to live continually in that place! It is so easy to fall into self-condemnation, but God continually reminds me that He loves and accepts me as I am.

      Delete