Thursday, February 14, 2013

Nothing to Fear But Fear Itself

It was quite a few years ago that I first learned this acrostic for fear:

F - False
E - Evidence
A - Appearing
R - Real

Even when I know the evidence is not true, fear rarely goes away easily. As our pastor said last Sunday, "Fear puts feelings in the driver's seat." Once those powerful emotions get a grip on the steering wheel, a sweet, "Excuse me, but would you be so kind as to allow me to drive again?" will not suffice. Neither will a calm discussion of the facts cause fear to let go. The fearful emotions must be made to surrender by being convinced that the truth is stronger and will prevail.

This means I have to believe the truth more than I believe what I feel. The more resolute my conviction of what is true becomes, the more decisively I will prevail over the lies inbedded in the fear.          

Jesus is my example for the way to prevail. He was driven into the wilderness by the Spirit to be tempted by Satan. After 40 days of fasting, His adversary came with a twisted motivation and quoted Scripture from the Old Testament. He hoped Jesus would come out from under His Father's authority and act independently. Jesus prevailed over the enemy by speaking the truth from the same Scriptures with authority. He not only knew the truth; He was and is the Truth! After three failed attempts, Satan left Him.

Praise God! My belief in the truth does not have to be perfect; it just has to be real. And the more  battles I win, the stronger my faith grows.   

I believe, Lord. Help Thou my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment